Wednesday 20 April 2011

Otto Neurath

As I am looking at pictograms as part of my new brief, I have had a look at Otto Neurath. He tends to focus on simple shapes but synonymous shapes to retain the elements character.
Obscurely, Neurath was an Austrian philosopher of science and studied maths. It was his philosophy of science and language that led him to create his 'universal' symbols.
His symbols are so pared down to the absolute essentials that anybody and everybody in the universe can comprehend what they indicate.
To make my pictograms, I will start by using my usual technique of stitch and collage. To get a more precise finish I could look at using Illustrator, although this is completely not my style. But, still it will show that I am venturing into new areas to break my boundaries and keep more work fresh and relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment