Sunday 1 May 2011

Digital vs. Manual

I have discovered recently that digital techniques are pushed onto students more in current times rather than just a traditional manual technique. Sure if I do something wrong I have to start from scratch and that is the beauty of digital software, however I can't put my tools back in the wardrobe (I ran out of drawer and desk space!!) it just doesn't seem right. I can use Photoshop to piece my puzzle together, but I don't want to and have no need to start creating elements on Illustrator. Sure it has it place in the industry and a lot of people manipulate it to its full potential but does it need to be forced on me so heavily?

For me it is the personalisation of my work that makes me feel like I've achieved something, that proud moment when I step back from my work and think, you know what I really like that. And I've done it, not a machine. Me, with my own two hands and a bit of will power. It may take longer than necessary, it might not have the crisp perfect lines that a computer can generate, but I like my wonky lines, my tea stained rings and the texture of where I've applied my paint too thickly, please machine, just leave me to my own devices, I know that if I ever do need you you will still be here....

Thankyou :)

No comments:

Post a Comment