Thursday 24 March 2011

Hi Chloe :)

Thank you for your email. I'm flattered that you're looking at my work for inspiration! Here's my answers to your questions:

1. You seem to construct your work manually, is this a preferred method for you? If so why?

Yes. It just feels more natural and comfortable for me to work with "traditional" mediums like pencils and paper, rather than digital mediums. I feel like I have more control, confidence and freedom with pencils rather than with a mouse or a drawing tablet. I majored in graphic design before I switched to illustration, and I had been spending SO much time on my computer that when I got the opportunity to focus solely on illustrating I felt a need to get away from the monitor. I often end up scanning drawings and playing with them digitally, to make patterns or more images. Overall, I think a combination of both "traditional" and digital techniques work the best for me right now.

2. Is there any reason why you like to use flora and fauna in your work?
I think it's all the intriguing details and room for creative license. It's definitely more of an aesthetic thing, though often a symbolic or metaphoric meaning will emerge later.


3. Where do you get your inspiration from? Do you trawl through blogs or are there significant artists you like?
Scientific illustrations always inspire me, and they're pretty easy to come by. The ones I find are mostly anonymous since they all fit into such a specific genre, though I'd like to investigate specific artists and their different styles more. Bookstores and vinyl/CD shops usually offer a plethora of inspiring graphics and illustrations for me. I like the tactility of handling illustrations/graphics in print, rather than just viewing them digitally.

4. Do you move about a lot, or are you quite a static illustrator? Does this impact your work any?
Quite static. I find that I have to feel comfortable in a space before I can make something I'm truly happy with. I suppose this impacts my work in that it allows for planning and careful time-consuming detail. My work isn't very spontaneous. I think if I moved about a lot it could possibly take on a more unpredictable, unrestrained quality.

Ok, well that's all. So where do you study? Are you enjoying your course? What kind of work do you make? I'm always interested in seeing the work of others!

Jess :)

On 22/03/2011, at 11:37 PM, Chloe Jones wrote:

Hi Jessica!

I have been looking at your work recently for inspiration on an Indonesian themed project. I like the delicacy of your lines and characters, I was just wondering if you could help me with a few points. I am currently studying in my second year towards an illustration degree and was wondering:

1. You seem to construct your work manually, is this a preferred method for you? If so why?

2. Is there any reason why you like to use flora and fauna in your work?

3. Where do you get your inspiration from? Do you trawl through blogs or are there significant artists you like?

4. Do you move about a lot, or are you quite a static illustrator? Does this impact your work any?

Thanks very much for your time, I understand that you are probably extremely busy, your time is much appreciated. I look forward to your response

Kind Regards

Chloe

In the black and pink image, Jessica uses collage but in a very subtle way. I like the way that her choice of newsprint comes through the artwork but it is not the central point. Jessica tends to use more illustrator collage than actual manual collage which I tend to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment